2 Port eSATAII PCI-E Controller for Mac Pro
This new family of PCI Express controllers offer the latest 3G/sec SATA performance and configuration flexibility at an amazingly affordable price. Comes with choice of 2 internal SATA II ports or 2 eSATA II ports for external SATA connection. both controllers can also be installed in low profile PCs using the bundled low profile bracket. The 2 eSATA ports can be easily configured as 2 individual ports with no RAID or with RAID 0, RAID 1 using the Mac OS Disk Utility. The 2 port eSATAII PCI Express host controller is also Port Multiplier compatible, thus offering potential expansion capability and new storage solutions.
For more detail on this new eSATA external connector, please review the following white paper posted on SATA-IO.org
- Use as a non-RAID or RAID controller. Create RAID 0 or 1 using the Mac OS Disk Utility.
- Install into both standard height or low profile system. Install in PCI-Express BUS
- Fully compliant with SATA II and SATA 1.0 standard
- Maximum 3Gbits/sec per port
- Support NCQ commands
- Compatibility with Port Multiplier
- Silicon Image chip set SiI 3132
- Compatible with Mac Pro OS X 10.4.x**, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows 2003 Server
- Up-gradable firmware
- Hot swap support - drive can be removed and added without system shut down or restart ***
- eSATA connector for more secure connection, reliability and supports up to 2 meters cable length
- List of Linux Distributions compatible with Addonics SATA Host Controllers
*Note: It is common in RAID5 configuration that the WRITE speed performs slower than READ. Depending on system hardware, the WRITE performance can drop to 25% of the READ speed. This performance difference does not affect general database application where majority of the transations are READ commands. For applications that require large files transfer or continuous writing of data on the the hard drive such as video editing, RAID5 configuration may not be desirable.
**A recent incompatibility has been uncovered with the latest Silicon Image chipset 3132 1.1.6 drivers on Mac Pro systems with a 3.0Ghz processor, or up to or exceeding 4GB of RAM with PCI-e. An updated driver version 1.1.9 was been released to support RAM up to and exceeding 4GB, available from the Host Controller driver download page. The G5 quad core processor is not supported.
*** Hot swapping hard drive has been tested on Windows OS only. When drives are configured as RAID 0 and certain RAID combination, the removal of the hard drive will result in breaking the RAID set and result in data loss.