To Check and see if your adapter is installed.
- Open Device Manager
- Windows XP & 7:
- Click on Start
- Then Right-Click on "My Computer" (This is just called "Computer" in Windows 7)
- Left-Click on "Manage"
- Device Manager is in the left Window, under System Tools.
- Windows 8 / 8.1 / 10:
- Right-Click on the Start logo.
- Left-click on Device Manager.
- Expand the "Ports (COM & LPT) section by clicking the "+" or triangle symbol to the left of it.
Different model adapters will have different text, but you should see an entry such as "USB Serial Port" or "Prolific Serial Converter", followed by (COMx) at the end. "x" here is the port number.
This is the number you need to provide to the application you are using, for exmaple HyperTerminal or Putty for a terminal/modem or other telecom gear, Labview for PLAs and other testing gear, etc.